These recipes were ‘donated’ at a recent recipe drive at the hospital. They are suitable for the LOFFLEX diet for people who have crohns disease and have been previously treated with liquid/elemental diet therapy at the advice of their Consultant. It stands for low fat, low fibre limited exclusion (diet!) The recipes are wheat free, gluten free, egg free, dairy free, so will be fine for lots of other folks too! Will post more later in the week.
Smoked Salmon Risotto – donated by Eimear Bradley SRD
Ingredients – serves 2
70g Smoked salmon
1 Finely chopped pepper
180g Arborio or risotto rice
1/2 Tablespoon of garlic infused or garlic flavoured oil (do not use Garlic!)
1. Fry risotto rice in 1/2 tablespoon of garlic infused oil
2. Make stock with boiling water and seasoning/herbs/small amount of salt
3. Slowly add stock to risotto and stir consistently for 25-30 minutes.
4. Skin peppers (blacken skin over a flame the put warm pepper in a plastic bag, allow to cool and skin will be easy to remove) chop finely, add to risotto during cooking.
5. Flake smoked salmon over the top and serve hot.
Beef Stroganoff with butternut squash (serves 4) – donated by Rachel Sharp SRD
400g beef rump steak, trimmed of fat (and gristle)
1 tbsp dairy free margarine
1 tbsp olive oil
250g mushrooms (without stems)
250g Butternut squash – peeled & chopped
400g white rice
1 tbsp rice or potato starch flour
300 mls boiled water
6 drops of gravy browning (no wheat or additives)
3 tbsp Soya cream
1/4 pack flat leaf parsley
1. Freeze beef (will allow you to slice it thin) and slice thinly, then season
2. Peel, de-seed and chop butternut squash into cubes. Boil for 9 minutes until soft.
3. Boil rice (cover with water just above the level of rice in the pan and simmer till soft)
4. In a large non stick frying pan, melt half the butter with half the oil, increase the heat and sear the beef in batches until browned on both sides. Remove from the heat and set aside. Repeat this process with the mushrooms.
5. Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and melt. Stir in the rice flour for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the stock (300mls water + gravy browning) cook till thickened, then stir in the soya cream, season to taste and add both the beef and butternut squash, add etra water, if needed.
6. Drain the rice & serve hot with the creamy stroganoff.
Please note: Everyone’s dietary tolerance of foods, with crohns disease, is individual. If you suspect you have problems with these ingredients please check with your dietitian if the ingredient is OK for you, before trying the recipe. The recipes are designed for stage 1 of the LOFFLEX diet, but occasionally people can have reactions to foods in stage 1, so it is very important to keep in touch with your dietitian, when following the treatment.